At ReTweed we hate to throw anything away so this craft is just up our upcycling street. Come along to this workshop and you’ll be amazed at how easy it is to create something delightful for your home.
This session will incorporate seascapes and coastal and maritime themes using waste textiles to create a wonderful rag rug cushion cover or feature piece for your home to remind you of the beautiful Berwickshire Coast. The session will also incorporate design elements and encourage participants to be brave with mixing, patterns, colours and different textures to great artistic effect.
Margaret Kenny textiles historian and passionate rag rugger will demonstrate the traditional techniques of hooking and podging strips of fabric through hessian backing to make rugs, wall hangings, cushions, blankets and seat mats. During the workshop Margaret will also share the history and heritage of rag rugging in Britain and introduce specific techniques and patterns associated with the local area.
At the end of the day you will take home your own rag rug cushion or wall hanging along with a wealth of ideas for making more rag rug creations at home.
Workshop Cost: £33
Experience Level: Beginners
To learn more about ReTweed and discover other workshops click here.
Other workshops this year:
- 10th August – Sewing Machine Basics Family Day
- 7th September – Patchwork for Quilting
- 21st September – Arty Seascapes with Rag Rugging
- 28th September – Textiles Artists: Multi-Media Appliqué
- 26th October – Fancify Your Furniture
- 9th November – Sewing Machine Basics
- 22nd November – Seasonal and Festive Wreaths
- 14th December – Découpage and ButtonTastic Card Making